lynx-dev

lynx-dev external table filtering (was: TRST : the next step)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev external table filtering (was: TRST : the next step)
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 05:26:52 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Hataguchi Takeshi wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:
> > Also try his proxy in <http://www.mich.com/~thomas/ftp/lxtab0.5.tar.gz>.
>
> I had modified his script t2thtml and made it public at
>     http://www.t3.rim.or.jp/~patakuti/lynx/enhanced/t2thtml
> This is able to render nested tables better than original does
> (I believe).

Thank you very much for reminding us.

I now got your version of t2thtml and finally tried it.  It seems to
be much improved.

Have you submitted your changes to Tom?  Have you tried to ask Subir
(address@hidden) to add a link?

I made some further changes.  You can find my current version under
   <http://enteract.com/~kweide/lynx/lxtab/>

(summary of changes:
 - try to keep markup outside of any TABLEs as it was, don't insert
   unnecessary line breaks before tags.  (using ORS, OFS)
 - avoid printf (HTML text may contain '%' characters!)
 - avoid frequent system("") - its only point seems to be flushing
   output before each tag.
 - don't force exit on </HTML>
 - recognize "&#9;" for TAB (used in
   <http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/ocaa2.html>))

It seems you have introduced a new problem (that I have not fixed).
Look at the ocaa2 document.  Tables 3-1, 3.2, and 3-5 now contain
(lots of) "&nbsp;" in the rendered output.  Can you fix this?

> The script is designed as a filter not as a part of proxy.

I am testing and using it under the proxy.  There isn't anything
in the design that makes it unfit for that.

I have also changed the proxy code (quite a lot), it is also under
  <http://enteract.com/~kweide/lynx/lxtab/>.

  ----

Btw. what do you think of my idea in
<http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1199/msg00398.html>,
"something that preprocesses

 <TR><TD>Blah<br>more blah</TD><TD>Other blah<br>more other blah</TD></TR>

into

 <TR><TD>Blah             </TD><TD>Other blah                   </TD></TR>
 <TR><TD>        more blah</TD><TD>               more otherblah</TD></TR>"?

I haven't learned enough about gawk and t2thtml yet, but since you have
modified t2thtml a lot I assume you understand it well.  Would it be
easy to change it to do the above instead of formatting everythin
as <PRE>?  If yes, could you try to do it :) ?

   Klaus