lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: external table filtering

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: external table filtering
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 08:11:42 -0500 (EST)

991123 Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, Hataguchi Takeshi wrote:
>> Please try  http://www.t3.rim.or.jp/~patakuti/tmp/t2thtml
>> "usepre" means convert tables to preformatted text as old one does.
>> "usetable" means convert tables to tables as you wrote
>> (which is fitted for TRST support Lynx)
> Unfortunately, I cannot really agree that the output is that great. :(
> In some simple cases yes, but in more general cases
> it can get much worse than without *any* table handling.
> There are so many things that can (and do) go wrong,
> starting with FORM fields (not that I really understand
> what the script tries to do with them, or with IMGs and some other tags).
> To get everything right, the script would have to grow into something
> that includes a full HTML parser.  That doesn't look very practicable.
> But otherwise there'll always be some constructs that get mishandled
> e.g. SGML comments with arbitrary contents or ">" in attribute values.
> probably t2thtml can be improved to the level of Tom's latest t2tgrnest.

this doesn't seem a profitable approach at all.
TZ' t2tgrnest does a very good job on the OCAA tables.
if you want to fit tables back into an HTML source for some reason,
you should simply apply t2tgrnest & enclose the result in <pre> ... </pre> .

referring to KW's other message yesterday,
whether/not gawk is close enough to C for direct transplanting,
the logic of the t2tgrnest functions sb easy to recast into C functions.
obviously, you don't try to have Lynx process tables
during its regular 1-pass operation:
it has to be separated like frames, but that's not a problem,
given that users will typically want to apply TableSoup
only when they see (ugly) tables in some existing rendering.