lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev how to deal with these "auto-go" forms

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev how to deal with these "auto-go" forms
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 17:25:05 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Jeremy Hall wrote:

>Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 18:50:47 -0500 (EST)
>From: Jeremy Hall <address@hidden>
>To: address@hidden
>Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>Subject: lynx-dev how to deal with these "auto-go" forms
>
>Hello,
>
>I am trying to deal with the dish network page found at
>
>http://www.dishnetwork.com/guide/timezone.htm
>
>Look at the bottom of the page and click on go to listings, or whatever it
>is called.
>
>Now look for the string
>
>-- Select and Go --
>
>You will find you can easily select something, but not so easily go.
>
>Short of reading the source and manually "going" to the location, how does
>one combat these forms?

You can't.  It's a JavaScript thing, and you need a browser that supports
JavaScript.

You can do several things to help the effort:

1) Politely complain to the site and ask them to provide a non-JavaScript
version of the page

2) Help add support to JavaScript to Lynx (a huge effort) or some other
text-based browser such as w3m (I don't know if it's any more feasible
there).

You could also just use one of the browsers that supports JavaScript such
as IE or Netscape.