lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Question about jumps

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Question about jumps
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 07:03:43 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, Frederic L. W. Meunier wrote:

> Hi. I'm actually using jumps file and liking it, but I have a
> question about it. It's loaded when you start Lynx, or when you
> invoke "j" it search for the URL? I deleted an URL, and using
> "j" it found it (because it's in the buffer?).
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes.  The file gets read in once (the first time you try to use
a shortcut), and the shortcut info stays in memory.  there doesn't
seem to be a mechanism to cause it to be reloaded.  From a look
at the code, it seems that the shortcut info stays around
even after a LYNXCFG://reload - I haven't tried it.  Some strange
things could happen if you change the jump file name, and/or
use additional jump files (with a key - explained after the
KEYMAP section in lynx.cfg).

> But if I add an
> URL to the jumps file on a running session I'm unable to use
> it. So the question is:
>
> Is there a way to reload the jumps file if it's only loaded
> when you start Lynx? I think that jumps should work like
> bookmarks, but since I'm not the developer, I don't know if
> it's a good idea.

Well, the HTML view of the file (what you normally load with '?')
does act like a bookmark (or any other HTML file) - it can get
reloaded etc.  The problem is that for shortcuts Lynx has a
different view of the jump file contents which isn't kept in
synch with the HTML view.  So no, there currently is no way to
reload the file the way you mean it.

  Klaus