lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Question about jumps

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Question about jumps
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 08:54:54 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, Philip Webb wrote:

> i ran into this difficulty too when i started using jumps.
> how difficult would it be to have Lynx reread the file
> whenever the user enters  ?  at the prompt?
> that would be a simple practical solution.

I much prefer that it doesn't do that.  It would be completely
unnecessary overhead 99.9% of the time (once you have arrived
at a suitable & stable shortcut configuration).

Shortcuts are supposed to be something you can memorize, so
presumably you don't want to change them around all the time.
(IOW, they are not meant to be like bookmarks, but something
more stable IMO.)  Only in the construction phase would
reloading be helpful.  But if you are advanced enough to write
your own shortcuts file, you should have no difficulty restarting
lynx (or starting separate copies) during the construction phase.

What about a new (internal, i.e. capitialized :) ) URL scheme,
LYNXRELOADTHESESHORTCUTS: ? :)

(No, this isn't actually a joke, except perhaps for the name.)

Well it could be a shortcut itself instead of a URL, but shortcuts
are to URLs, so we should have a URL.  That makes it configurable
in the jumpfile itself whether it is reloadable (and how), the
ultimate in flexibility... (and restrictablility, if you choose
to provide a jumps file to guest users in an environment where
shortcuts should not be reloadable under any circumstances (even
if the filesystem fails))

   Klaus