lynx-dev

lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.14

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.14
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 21:50:28 -0500 (EST)

I've a handful of items still on my backlog (will do those on the next patch).

1999-11-03 (2.8.3dev.14)
* modify no_color_video check for A_UNDERLINE so it is active for any
  combination that uses underlining (reported by KW) -TD
* modified HTML.c so configure --enable-internal-links builds -TD
* improved 'lynx.patch' rule in makefile.in -PG
* add rough version of makelynx.bat for use with Khan's MingW32 (from Victor
  Schneider <address@hidden>)
* update dependencies in makefile.bcb for src/TRSTable.c -HS
* fix PDCurses ifdef's in LYCurses.c to work with WATT-32 -DK
* correct ifdef's in LYPrint.c so that send_file_to_mail() works with DJGPP -DK
* modify DOS makefiles for PDCURSES for watt-32 and some of the other recent
  changes to lynx.  Included some of the EXP_ defines that DOS users may want.
  Changed the -O3 back to -O2, since -O3 has no advantage under djgpp -DK
* remove a useless ';', use FREE() instead of free() - JB
* correct spelling lexem/lexeme (reported by KW) -TD
* split-out function check_history() in LYMainLoop.c -TD
* add configure check for vasprintf -TD
* add configure check for _GNU_SOURCE -TD
* minor fixes for configure script macros CF_TERMCAP_LIBS, CF_DISABLE_ECHO,
  CF_GCC_ATTRIBUTES, CF_GCC_WARNINGS -TD
* fixed bug in psrcmode code.  Now htmlsrc_tag encloses only tagname, not
  everything in generalized brackets <,>,</,/> (reported by KW) -VH
* fixed a bug with 'g' command (reported by KW) -VH
* default value for 'OPT' in SGML.c made '1', removed alternatives to code
  surrounded by #if OPT1
* notes (VH):
  + Seems that 'OPT' stuff doesn't contain errors. Let's enable it for several
    releases, and then remove alternative code.
  + Added comments about pools.
  + Docs updated to reflect new functionality of -dont-wrap-pre
* old psrcview bug fixed  - markup was unbalanced in some situations -VH
* content of SAMP tag made justifiable -VH
* implemented HTStyleChange pooling - sizeof(HTStyleChange) is 4 times smaller
  than before, and only necessary number of stylechanges is allocated now,
  instead of some constant (1024 by default) -VH
* functionality of dont-wrap-pre improved and extended. Now it's possible to
  avoid wrapping the document being dumped completely (size of the non-wrapped
  line before the patch was limited by MAX_LINE = 1024 by default). Specifying
  -dont-wrap-pre with interactive session enables wrapped lines (in PRE) to
  be marked as in source view - with '+' in normal view -VH
* functionality of -force-empty-hrefless-a was cleaned up,
  #ifndefs NO_EMPTY_HREFLESS_A and endif's were removed -VH
* colorstyle changes are not emitted in HTML_end_element if me->skip_stack was
  >0 on entry to this function. This caused some glitches if
  -force-empty-hrefless-a was enabled -VH
* LYPrettySrc.c was slightly cleaned up, added support for lynx.cfg reloading,
  memory deallocation -VH
* possible bug in print_wwwfile_to_fd fixed - when quoting the page, seems that
  several '>'s could be emitted on the long line formed by concatenating ilnes
  with LY_SOFT_NEWLINEs at the begining of them -VH
* general notes -VH:
  + users of lss-enabled lynx should consider on upgrading the lynx - at least
    those who use lynx for viewing huge files.  By default, each line on the
    screen took 1K for colorstyles (on x86).  With new approach colorstyle
    changes take 24 bytes (on x86) per line in average document.  Old lynx with
    900K html file loaded as startfile occupied 30M of virtual memory, lynx
    with patch applied occupied 5 Mb on the same file.  Old code is still
    accessible by defining OLD_STYLECHANGE.
  + I spent 4 hours debugging attempting to write/fix code that cleans up the
    memory allocated in LYPrettySrc.c, but Lynx.leaks shows that I didn't
    succeeded.  I fear that leak detection stuff is broken - I checked/traced
    the code very carefully several times.
> the remainder (most) of this patch from KW:
* for confirmation prompts (HTConfirm), also accept English letters 'Y', 'y',
  'N', 'n' as responses.  If characters different from those are derived from
  the first letters of the translation of "yes" and "no" in a localized lynx,
  the latter will still be the ones that appear in the prompt text and will
  have precedence.  Message translations using multibyte character sets should
  continue to *not* translate "yes" and "no".  Added a note to that effect.
* small update for some chartrans tables, minor comment changes.
* for Unix, use LYSystem instead of system for invoking telnet, rlogin,
  rtn3270 commands.
  [ For some non-Unix systems, LYSystem messes around with the passed command
    string in various ways, and does some other stuff for DJGPP.  So no change
    for those, since I assume it worked before.  For Unix the change prevents
    the following occuring with ncurses (at least if USE_SIGACTION is defined):
     - access some (valid) telnet://some.host URL.
     - within telnet client, escape to command level (usually '^]')
     - suspend (usually 'z' or ^Z)
     - resume (fg).  Lynx process gets woken up, redraws lynx screen,
       screen & tty state get messed up. ]
* another tweak for display refreshing when text previously displayed
  had UTF-8 (for ncurses) - a check in display_page was missing.
* corrected stupid problem in LYGetFileInfo - invalid memory access.
* corrected and extended handling for textarea INSERTFILE and EDITTEXTAREA
  (or DWIMEDIT), the previous patch wasn't quite right:
  - now really truncate very long lines as intended for INSERTFILE, instead of
    wrapping with loss of one character.
  - for EDITTEXTAREA (DWIMEDIT), implement wrapping instead of truncation
    (Rationale for the difference:  user's editing work shouldn't be lost if we
    can avoid it; it is only temporarily stored in a file which may be
    unrecoverable, different from the typical INSERTFILE case.) If, upon
    returning from the external editor, lines are encountered that don't fit in
    the displayed width of the textarea fields, the user may be given the
    option to wrap to that width.  (This prompt may not be given when the first
    such line has no suitable spaces for breaking - the file may be binary
    garbage after all, not worth fixing up too much.) Line breaking is
    attempted at spaces if possible (using isspace() for checking), but not if
    the only available spaces are close to the beginning of a line.  An attempt
    is made to join the wrapped part of a line (if not too long) with the next
    line if it is not indented, by suppressing the next line break (if not too
    far away).  Some other heuristics are used that work reasonably well for
    normal text paragraphs.
    If the above mechanisms fail, or the user did not confirm wrapping when
    prompted, very long lines will still be wrapped to fit into the buffer size
    (around 1024 chars).
  [ The wrapping works quite nicely in "normal" cases - please try it! ]
* mouse action in popups would lead to call of fancy_mouse() with wrong row
  number, which could lead to messed-up display as well as invalid memory
  access.
* The previous changes in link redrawing made things worse instead of better
  for UTF-8 display with ncurses (without color style).  This time (using
  wredrawln, not touchline) it should really get better...
  [ The UTF-8 related changes would need testing with non-ncurses curses libs,
    if anyone has one of those AND a working UTF-8 environment - late xterm
    betas(?) from Tom's site should do.  If the functions used for ncurses are
    available in other curses libs, the code should probably look the same as
    for ncurses.  ]
* SGML.c to compile without --enable-prettysrc (reported by HN) -KW
* fixes an invalid memory problem from previous patch
* adds alignment inheritance from COLGROUP / COL / THEAD / TFOOT / TBODY.
* remove some logic from LYmbcsstrlen() that gave an incorrect count for
  the number of cells displaying multibyte characters, resulting in too-few
  cells being highlighted (reported by HN, HS) -KW
* added support for ROWSPAN attribute of TD and TH to TRST.  This only
  reserves the appropriate amount of space in subsequent lines.
  [ Pages that show off ROWSPAN nicely:
    <http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/HTML/domain-hello.html>
    and related ones for other "domain"s.  (Verify that there really
    is a ROWSPAN= in the current version.)  View with a screen width
    of 100.  With 80 there is some kind of problem, compare both
    ^V settings... ]
* some corrections in TRST code.
* change initialization order of key escape sequence mappings for slang, so
  that terminfo/termcap information always overrides defaults that may
  conflict.
* minimal memory cleanup / leak prevention for EXP_FILE_UPLOAD error
  cases in GridText.c.
* in HText_SubmitForm, don't change the post_content_type of the
  passed in newdoc structure unless that is really wanted.
* tweaked UTF-8 prevention of display library wrapping/truncation to make
  better use of available width for centered text, and to not apply if dumping
  to stdout.
* for UTF-8 output with ncurses, do a clearok in display_page also if the page
  that was *previously* displayed had UTF-8 characters.  Without this there
  were still display glitches.
* made previous changes to SGML.c and HTMLDTD for handling OBJECT more generic.
* minor tweaks, cleanups, glitch removal in previous changes.
* better tracking of HTSprintf0/HTSprintf with --enable-find-leaks
  (-DLY_FIND_LEAKS).  This can be disabled in LYLeaks.h by removing the
  definition of LY_FIND_LEAKS_EXTENDED.
* added variant behavior in StrAllocVsprintf to make HTSprintf0/HTSprintf use
  less memory allocation calls and keep its temporary string buffers across
  calls.  The buffers then only grow and never get cleaned up.  This is enabled
  by defining SAVE_TIME_NOT_SPACE in HTString.c, disable the definition there
  in case of problems.
* added code so HTSprintf0/HTSprintf can use vasprintf() in some situations,
  which should be more efficient.  It also works with --enable-find-leaks
  (EXTENDED or not).  This only comes into play if USE_VASPRINTF is defined
  (not defined automatically anywhere).
  [ For me (some Debian glibc version), the prototype for this function
    is in stdio.h but only gets included with an explicit -D_GNU_SOURCE. ]
  [ Which of the four combinations with/without vasprintf, with/without
    SAVE_TIME_NOT_SPACE is better (if any) remains to be tested.  I have seen
    drastic differences under leak tracking, but that's just too much
    different from a normal situation to count for anything. ]
* Some minor leaks fixed. (LYMainLoop.c)

[ Had to make owner_address and ownerS_address file-wide PRIVATE's
 instead of auto to unleak them.  Could be taken out of more
 argument lists now. ]

* HTFile.c: correction in FormatNum (could duplicate fields for some
  LIST_FORMAT settings), avoid some HTSprintf0 calls in FormatStr.
* replaced calls to HTSprintf with calls to HTSprintf0 in various files.
* added missing include of LYLeaks.h in LYPrettySrc.c.  But disabled memory
  tracking there, too many allocations show up as leaks.
* allow digits in tagspec for -prettysrc.
* the 'fixit' change of 1999-05-16 didn't really let LYConvertToURL() revert to
  the right old behavior in the non-'g' use.  Now return a file URL for the
  nonexisting file in the relevant situation again, as before 1998-03-25,
  instead of an erroneous "file://localhost" which (on Unix-like systems at
  least) would result in access to the root directory.  This change (like the
  changes of 1999-05-16 and 1998-03-25) only matters for strings that aren't
  already in absolute URL form, don't start with a slash (or, for DOSPATH
  systems, other path separator) either, and don't get turned into remote URLs
  by successful 'guessing' and DNS lookup.  None of the changes affect VMS.
* protect INSERTFILE and EDITTEXTAREA from generating memory access violations
  if the inserted file has lines that are too long for the buffer used.  An
  alert message is issued and the long lines are truncated.  Also don't exit if
  memory allocation fails for the buffer to hold the whole file, since the only
  reason for the failure may be that the file is too huge when otherwise lynx
  has enough memory.
* improved handling of some invalid constructs in SGML, especially
  '<' followed by various characters; don't lose those characters from
  what gets displayed for -prettysrc.
* a pre-filled TEXTAREA text that needed charset translation could cause
  use of an invalid pointer when building the page, resulting in garbage
  data being displayed (or worse).  The problem was in HTML.c, not related
  to TEXTAREA editing or other related new functions.
  [ preceding three were partially already in previous patch ]
* recognize '<?' as introducing an SGML PI.  Within most elements' content (or
  outside of any elements) this makes no effective difference except for TRACE
  messages and -prettysrc, the input is still junked up to the next '>' as for
  a completely invalid tag.  Within PCDATA elements the PI is now also ignored
  instead of being treated as character data, this makes a difference for
  example in a TEXTAREA in SortaSGML mode.  (PI's aren't really expected to
  occur in the middle of HTML, but are used at the beginning of XHTML documents
  and other XML documents.)
* the earlier change of TEXTAREA handling (treating as SGML_PCDATA, SortaSGML
  only) created a problem, some lynx special characters were passed on as data
  characters in the field contents and would mess up line editing and possibly
  the submitted form data.  Actually the problem also existed before, but only
  for non break space, soft hyphen etc.  encoded directly as character data
  (not NCRs or entities).  Resolved by telling SGML.c not to generate lynx
  special chars for some element contents (currently only TEXTAREA), with new
  flag Tgf_nolyspcl.
* corrected some logic errors in LYUCFullyTranslateString.  Special attribute
  characters are now more often translated to real characters when 'Back' flag
  is set, and should now be translated to the *right* characters for the target
  charset.  (They were sometimes converted to ISO-8859-1 values when the 'to'
  charset was different.)
* added a missing significant cast in UCReverseTransChar.
* for scrollbar mouse clicking, use codes that work independent of current
  line-editor key bindings.
* better calculation of "subjective distance" from next anchor for mouse.
  Change of 1999-07-30 had various problems, it wasn't quite intuitive.  Use
  scaled numbers for finer granularity.  Don't make "basin of attraction" too
  wide, or it becomes hard to find a "background" spot to click on that doesn't
  affect a link if a page has a high density of links.
  [ For example with a pair of fields:
         Submit Reset
                xxx
  clicking in any of the positions marked 'x' on the next line would
  select the first field, not the second. That was not an improvement. ]
* functions LYmbcsstrlen, LYno_attr_mbcs_case_strstr, and LYno_attr_mbcs_strstr
  in LYStrings.c where unclear about the concept of 'printable' or 'physical'
  used for some returned values in the CJK case.  Callers expected number of
  display cells, implemented was number of 'characters' counting full-width
  characters as 1 instead of 2.  Now these functions take an additional
  argument 'count_gcells' that tells them how to count.
  This removes some long-standing, somewhat obscure problems with search target
  highlighting under CJK display character sets, as well as new (and less
  obscure) CJK problems introduces by the latest changes for highlighting.
  Also fixed some details in the *strstr functions.  The positioning of the
  highlighting in CJK mode should now be correct and work as expected (as for
  other display character sets) for anchors, search targets, and combinations
  of both.
* reorganized LYOpenTempRewrite.  It should finally make sense for systems
  without HAVE_TRUNCATE defined.
* corrected SNACat (was unused).
* changes for SUP and SUB:  Render SUP visibly as a '^' character if it needs
  to be separated from a preceding character in order to prevent
  misinterpretation.  The test currently used is isxdigit for the the preceding
  character.  Render <SUB> and </SUB> always as brackets '[' and ']'
  respectively.  SUB is mostly used in technical material while SUP occurs
  frequently in pages of general nature where it is not essential, therefore
  the different treatment.