lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.14 for Win32 is out

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.14 for Win32 is out
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 13:11:43 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Lloyd G. Rasmussen wrote:
> At 11:21 AM 11/5/99 -0600, you wrote:
> >On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Lloyd G. Rasmussen wrote:
> >
> >> I was hoping to test the new table display functions with a screen reader
> >> and see whether Klaus's TRST function is going to cause problems or be
> >> useful for blind users of Lynx.  [...]
> >
> >There is no command-line option for TRST - it is currently always "on",
> >but only kicks in when a table is "Simple" enough.

>    You're right.  It is working in Hiroyuki's version.  My screen reader,
> Vocal-Eyes, can be switched into a mode which announces the amount of
> indention, and any places on a line where more than one space occur, with
> the number of spaces.  I normally leave this function off, but I used it
> for the testing.  I was afraid that TRST might make it more difficult to
> read tables which are used for layout control.  This appears not to be a
> problem; you have avoided that situation well.

Yes, there are good and bad sides to my minimalist solution.  On the good
side, it doesn't make display worse than before (falling back to what lynx
did previously is "playing it safe").  On the bad side, there are tables
where it doesn't do anything useful.

> >All TRST does is (1) add spaces in lines, and (2) shift lines left or
> >right.  Do you hear different numbers of spaces differently?  If not,
> >the change should be completely unnoticeable to you.  In other words,
> >neither helpful nor harmful to blind users.
>
> I think it will have little effect for speech users.  People using braille
> displays will find it necessary to display the second half of an
> 80-character line a little more often, and they might miss some information
> in a two-column table.

In some situations, the new code can also have the opposite effect.  Table
lines that were centered or right aligned may now be less squished to the
right screen margin.  That probably doesn't happen very often, though.

The TRST code ignores any WIDTH= attributes, so columns should always only
be as wide as needed by the content.  That should also help for keeping
the content close to the left screen edge somewhat more often.

> But I look forward to Rick Lewis, Judy Dixon and
> others trying TRST out and giving their comments.
>
> I didn't think TRST was working because the table that makes up most of
>   http://www.wmata.com/USINGMET/Stations/STN2STN/GEORGIAPET.HTM
> and another four-column I have here locally did not show extra pages.  But
> I do hear the effect in a few places where there is room to show it.  Line
> length is 80 characters.

I could get the last table on that page to display in tabular form, with
a line length of 100, after shortening the text in the header cells enough
to fit and removing a <br> tag from one of them.

   Klaus