lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.14 for Win32 is out

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.14 for Win32 is out
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 16:05:07 -0500

At 11:21 AM 11/5/99 -0600, you wrote:
>On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Lloyd G. Rasmussen wrote:
>
>> I was hoping to test the new table display functions with a screen reader
>> and see whether Klaus's TRST function is going to cause problems or be
>> useful for blind users of Lynx.  I downloaded Lynx.exe from the
>> below-listed URL, but don't hear any difference in rendering compared to
>> previous versions.  Is TRST  disabled because it does not work with
>> PDCurses?
>
>No, it shouldn't have anything to do with the choice of ncurses / slang /
>pdcurses.
>
>> I could not find any new options in the form, the keymap, or doing
>>   Lynx -help >options.txt
>> and looking at command-line options supported by this binary.
>
>There is no command-line option for TRST - it is currently always "on",
>but only kicks in when a table is "Simple" enough.
>
>> I'm sorry that I don't read Japanese.
>
>Me too.
>
>I don't have Hiroyuki's (or any) Win32 binary, but I assume it works
>just like in the generic code for Unix.

   You're right.  It is working in Hiroyuki's version.  My screen reader,
Vocal-Eyes, can be switched into a mode which announces the amount of
indention, and any places on a line where more than one space occur, with
the number of spaces.  I normally leave this function off, but I used it
for the testing.  I was afraid that TRST might make it more difficult to
read tables which are used for layout control.  This appears not to be a
problem; you have avoided that situation well.

>All TRST does is (1) add spaces in lines, and (2) shift lines left or
>right.  Do you hear different numbers of spaces differently?  If not,
>the change should be completely unnoticeable to you.  In other words,
>neither helpful nor harmful to blind users.

I think it will have little effect for speech users.  People using braille
displays will find it necessary to display the second half of an
80-character line a little more often, and they might miss some information
in a two-column table.  But I look forward to Rick Lewis, Judy Dixon and
others trying TRST out and giving their comments.

I didn't think TRST was working because the table that makes up most of
  http://www.wmata.com/USINGMET/Stations/STN2STN/GEORGIAPET.HTM
and another four-column I have here locally did not show extra pages.  But
I do hear the effect in a few places where there is room to show it.  Line
length is 80 characters.  I don't know how to get a DOS box to do anything
wider in text mode.

I'm glad to see this function working as well as it does.  Sometimes table
display is going to be useful, especially when we take the rendered output
of Lynx and send it to a Braille translation program that attempts to do
some simple Braille table rendering of its own.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service f/t Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535  <address@hidden>
<http://www.loc.gov/nls/>
HOME:  <address@hidden>   <http://lras.home.sprynet.com