lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev meaning of -cookies

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev meaning of -cookies
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 01:32:50 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:
> 3-Nov-99 14:37 Klaus Weide wrote:
> >        -cookies
> >               toggles handling of Set-Cookie headers.
>
> > "Set-Cookie:" is incoming.  Outgoing is "Cookie:", the description doesn't
> > say anything about that.
>[...]
>
> >> There was no problem before when LYSetCookies were set once per lynx
> >> session
> >> so cookies jar was always empty when the receiving of cookies were blocked.
>
> > Is there a problem now?  And what exactly is the problem?
> Form options menu say "Cookies..." one should read "Accept Cookies",
> we should check other wording around also.

Yes, it should say that (or "Accepting cookies"? or "Accepting of cookies"?).

(But note that the current wording of the 3 choices already shows
that they are about receiving cookies, not receiving & sending, IMO:
                                     /------------\
                                     | ignore     |
                                     | ask user   |
                                     | accept all |
                                     \------------/
Not that it coan't be made even clearer.)

> PERSISTENT_COOKIES as it is implemented now
> seems doind a wrong (but documented) job for SET_COOKIES:FALSE,
> I have a feeling that it was not intended by the original author (RP).
> Probably I am very wrong.

Well, I think it is likely he didn't think about it...

> >> 1) add LYSetCookies check on the sending part of HTTP.c
>
> > This would change the meaning of -cookies and SET_COOKIES from
> > what is documented now.

So, so far nobody is seriously arguing for it...

  Klaus