Re: Adds incipit section to NR (issue 108270043 by address@hidden)

From: dak
Subject: Re: Adds incipit section to NR (issue 108270043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 18:02:57 +0000

On 2014/08/21 17:50:15, Trevor Daniels wrote:
Let's see if I understand the issue here.

Because the incipit is generated as a separate score hidden inside a
music
function it is not possible to use the usual override mechanism to
change any
values set inside the music function, including the value of
InstrumentName.self-aligment-X.  The default value of self-aligment-X
is CENTER,
but it is set to RIGHT within the music function because it is thought
this
makes the incipit look better.  Since the user cannot change it, it is
important
that the value chosen is optimum.

The problem I see arises when the user has a standard for the position
of
InstrumentName which is different from whatever is set in the incipit
music
function.  A publisher will want to maintain his house style whatever
that is,
and will want incipits to follow that.  So in my view it is essential
that a
means to change the position of InstrumentName for incipits is highly
desirable.
  David has suggested one way of achieving this, albeit by a rather
inelegant
approach.  I think the means of achieving this needs to be explored
further.

Trevor

As long as the \incipit does not contain any grace notes, it should
likely work to change the alignment via
\incipit { \override Staff.InstrumentName.self-alignment-X = #... }
In contrast to the \with solution, one would need to explicitly specify
Staff or MensuralStaff.  As opposed to having the
InstrumentName.self-alignment-X taken from the Staff _containing_ the
\incipit (I proposed some mechanisms to do that on the developer list),
either way of overriding the InstrumentName alignment from one of
\incipit's arguments would require documentation.

I definitely would prefer the solution siphoning off the alignment from
the outer Staff since the incipit being a score environment of its own
is an implementation detail, and the less the user needs to think about
its internals, the better.

https://codereview.appspot.com/108270043/