Re: Allows slurs to break at barlines. (issue 7424049)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Allows slurs to break at barlines. (issue 7424049)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 23:38:36 +0100

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 20 mars 2013, at 09:26, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> address@hidden
>>
>>> I completely agree.  It's just that "fake" in English means false
>> or counterfeit.  It needs another word, just don't know what yet.
>> unchained? free?
>>
>> At the risk of prolonging the bike-shedding, here's my take.  For
>> me, the key consideration is to provide an easily remembered name
>> that can be internally vocalised as the slur is typed in.  And we
>> need a user-centric (not developer-centric) word - what is the
>> user's conception of such a slur?  Also we need an attribute of the
>> end point of the slur, not the slur as a whole, since it is to be
>> applied to an end point.  The word should fit comfortably as an
>> adjective in the phrase "xxx slur start/end" as "free slur end" to
>> aid vocalisation.
>>
>> I'm not keen on \broken or \fake; they have other incorrect and
>> unhelpful connotations.  \detached or \free are better.  Others
>> might be \floating, \hanging, \loose, \dangling, although these are
>> a bit long.  Of all the suggestions so far I prefer \free.
>>
>> Trevor
>
> If we're not going to refer to unfinished bridges in Scotland (tear),
> I like \free and \loose.

\free sounds connected to garbage collection.  I'm not fond of \loose
but could not give a good reason.  Maybe because of its connotations
with spacing.  \dangling seems pretty accurate, but a bit contrived for
reading it five times in a row.

\span is already taken by Scheme.  \split seems available.  It's a tiny
bit nicer than broken in that
a) it's not the same "broken" as in line break where the pieces stay
   next to each other
b) it's not the same "broken" as in broken clocks
c) "split" suggests somewhat more that the pieces go separate ways

Oh, and \splice.  That one has a bit more focus on the pieces connecting
again.

What kind of word would people pick when describing a score on the
phone?  For a single occurence, "interrupted" is likely a good
candidate, but five times in a row something catchier would likely win.
Probably "split" has a slightly better chance than "splice".

Now for something completely different:

To support really complex unfolded dashed/whatever spanners where just
throwing every split/broken/spliced/fake span end away might not be
sufficient, we might conceivably work with tags (remove tag volta-1,
volta-2 in sequence when unfolding, or some similar scheme).