Re: Allows slurs to break at barlines. (issue 7424049)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Allows slurs to break at barlines. (issue 7424049)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 09:41:01 +0100

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 20 mars 2013, at 07:50, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> "address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> The word "fake" still doesn't sit right with me...  There is nothing
>>> fake about the slur:
>>>
>>> { a \fake ( b c d ) }
>>
>> Mike, that code does not even make any sense.
>
> If one is quoting another instrument starting in mid-measure, why
> wouldn't that make sense?

A quote without any indication of it being a quote, starting immediately
after a non-quoted note?  Isn't that kind of a fake example?

>> You would not place a fake slur start or fake slur end anywhere
>> except right after or right before a visual discontinuity from a
>> repeat construct.  You probably did not understand what I wrote,
>> probably because "it makes a fake slur start or end" is not
>> grammatically clear.  I mean "It makes a fake slur-start or a fake
>> slur-end" by that.
>
> Ok, I'm getting what you're saying.  I still don't like "fake" just
> because the begin and start are still real.  They are just offset.

Now it is my turn not to be able to figure out the meaning.  "offset" in
the meaning of adjusted, or relocated?

>>> It is real.
>>
>> The slur is real.  The end point isn't.
>
> What is not real about the endpoint?  If I jump on a train in between
> two stations, it is still a real getting-on-board.

[...]

>>> The slur looks detached and broken, but not fake.
>>
>> But the attachment is fake, and the slur will get properly attached to
>> the proper end points when repeats are unfolded.
>
> Perhaps non-musical?

"non-musical" is definitely a good term to be used in the documentation.
It captures an important concept.  But there is also a musical
component: \fake) is the entrance of a wormhole ultimately leading to
some musical ), and \fake( is the exit from a wormhole that ultimately
had some musical ( before it.  So they are a binding promise of real
musical content at a different visual location, restoring the spanner
symmetry broken by the non-linear visual arrangement.

>> No, it is a quality of the respective visual (but not logical) start
>> and end points.  And I would prefer a naming choice that makes it
>> easier for people to understand what they are doing.  You are making
>> a strong case for this being hard enough to make it prudent to avoid
>> fallacious naming.
>
> I completely agree.  It's just that "fake" in English means false or
> counterfeit.  It needs another word, just don't know what yet.
> unchained? free?

What's a term for the other side of a wormhole?

\surrogate would also reflect one part of the concept, but that word is
so artificial...  I'd prefer some term that would grow into a natural
concept to a degree where people would prefer using it extensively over
having an automatism that leads to source code with unmatched
delimiters.

Like electrical engineers preferring to add an imaginary component to
differential equations in order to have something much nicer to work
with, even if they are going to throw the imaginary component away after
they have finished solving the equation.