Re: Allows slurs to break at barlines. (issue 7424049)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Allows slurs to break at barlines. (issue 7424049)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 06:07:13 +0100

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

> Trying to put myself in the shoes of the average user, \fake would not
> mean a function that uses a fake post event, but rather a function
> that produces a \fake something.  I would think "this makes a fake
> slur", which is not the case.

It makes a fake slur start or end.  When using \unfoldRepeats, the fake
slur starts and ends will actually get dropped.

If we have something like

g f e d(
\repeat { c d) e f ( }
\alternatives {
  { g) a b( a \fake) }
  { \fake( e) d c( d \fake) }
  { \fake( d) c d( e }
}
d c) d c

Then when doing \unfoldRepeats, all fakes are removed and the remaining
non-faked slur end points are actually combined instead of getting their
respective slurs stopped short at the discontinuity of a repeat bar
line.

> I like \detached because it describes accurately what is going on - if
> I were reading the manual and saw that \detached ( created a slur
> detached from noteheads, I'd remember the command.

But it doesn't.  It provides a temporary artificially detached start or
end point of a slur.  It is not the slur that is detached but rather its
true anchor elsewhere.

> \broken slightly less because we are not always breaking something (we
> are only doing that with \breakSlur).

Not even then.  The name is not accurate.

I'll agree that \fake is somewhat cheesy.  But it's nicer than
\onlyWhenNotUnfolded or \whenFolded or so.