Re: Allows slurs to break at barlines. (issue 7424049)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Allows slurs to break at barlines. (issue 7424049)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:40:21 +0100

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>> If the design needs it at both ends of the repeated block you could
>> consider a single keyword parameter for the function,
>>
>> o \slurInRepeat #'begin - to appear at the end of the block and
>>   indicate you're starting a new, partial slur and
>>
>> o \slurInRepeat #'complete - to appear at the beginning of the block
>>   and indicate you need to generate the rest of of the slur.
>>
>> This would also fit better with the current set of \slur* commands
>> which are basically slur property setter commands e.g. \slurDotted
>> \slurUp \slurSolid.
>
> For me, this is too verbose.  What about
>
>   \leftPart(
>   \rightPart)
>
> or
>
>   \leftPartOf(
>   \rightPartOf)
>
> ?  This should be quite universal for all spanners.

I think any further proposals should _definitely_ explain how to write
the given example

g f e d(
\repeat { c d) e f ( }
\alternatives {
  { g) a b( a \fake) }
  { \fake( e) d c( d \fake) }
  { \fake( d) c d( e }
}
d c) d c

with them.  According to what you wrote above, this would probably
become

g f e d(
\repeat { c d) e f ( }
\alternatives {
  { g) a b( a \rightPart) }
  { \leftPart( e) d c( d \rightPart) }
  { \leftPart( d) c d( e }
}
d c) d c

I have no idea what "rightPart" is supposed to mean here and why ( on
its own would _not_ be a left part of anything.  We also have no matchup
of left and right parts: the \rightPart in the first alternative is the
visual match of a paren not called \leftPart, and it connects logically
to the closing paren in the \repeat phrase which is not called any part
either.