Re: Adds Ferneyhough hairpins to LilyPond. (issue 7615043)

From: thomasmorley65
Subject: Re: Adds Ferneyhough hairpins to LilyPond. (issue 7615043)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 12:36:56 +0000

https://codereview.appspot.com/7615043/diff/23001/scm/output-lib.scm#newcode1061
> scm/output-lib.scm:1061: (thick (* thick (layout-line-thickness
grob)))
> At first sight I was surprised about `layout-line-thicknessĀ“. Than I
remembered,
> it is defined in bar-line.scm
> How about making it public, moving it to lily-library.scm?
> It could be used then in local custom-definitions.
> Same with `layout-blot-diameterĀ“.
> I know, it's another topic, though, what do you think about it?

Great idea!

I'd have expected _this_ change in another patch.
At least it should be mentioned in the commit-message.

https://codereview.appspot.com/7615043/diff/23001/scm/output-lib.scm#newcode1078
> scm/output-lib.scm:1078:
> What do you think about predefining sth like
> ferneyhoughHairpinOn/Off
> constanteHairpinOn/Off
> in /lyproperty-init.ly?
> i.e.
> ferneyhoughHairpinOn =
> \override Hairpin #'stencil = #ferneyhough-hairpin

I'm not against this idea at all - I'd like to see it proposed in a
different
patch set, if possible.  I am teerrrrrible at judging UI issues
because I hack
so much.  It is true that shortcuts help, but there are many, many
overrides
that are shortcut-worthy.  I'm not sure what standard determines which
overrides
should get shortcuts and which shouldn't, so I leave that to a future
(and
important!) conversation.

ok

https://codereview.appspot.com/7615043/diff/23001/scm/output-lib.scm#newcode1082
> scm/output-lib.scm:1082: (define-public constante-hairpin
> I'm not happy with constante-hairpin.
[...]

The constante indication means that the dynamic should not change at
all, so the
decision to use a hairpin that grows in a given direction is
admittedly a hack.
The idea of dimMolto (or crescMolto) with constante is a contradiction
(get very
quiet while not changing dynamic).

Yep.
And this contradiction _is_ disturbing.

Insofar as a hairpin represents a change in
dynamics, constante should, in theory, be a different grob.  My
solution is not
ideal, but I think it is an OK middle-ground short of the creation of
a separate
grob.  If people think it is too hackish, I will propose a new patch
with a
Constante grob (or make the hairpin grow-direction = #CENTER default
constante, which'd be difficult but doable).

For now I'd tend to let it as it stands.
Nevertheless, it _is_ hackish and I think it should be replaced by one
of your proposals later.

Though, how about:

Is it possible to make the hook-direction depending on the position of
the
Hairpin i.e below or above the staff?
?

https://codereview.appspot.com/7615043/