Re: Adds Ferneyhough hairpins to LilyPond. (issue 7615043)

From: mtsolo
Subject: Re: Adds Ferneyhough hairpins to LilyPond. (issue 7615043)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 07:27:38 +0000

On 2013/03/13 21:38:59, thomasmorley65 wrote:
Hi Mike,

sorry to be such an inch pincher.

https://codereview.appspot.com/7615043/diff/23001/scm/output-lib.scm
File scm/output-lib.scm (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/7615043/diff/23001/scm/output-lib.scm#newcode1061
scm/output-lib.scm:1061: (thick (* thick (layout-line-thickness
grob)))
At first sight I was surprised about `layout-line-thickness´. Than I
remembered,
it is defined in bar-line.scm
How about making it public, moving it to lily-library.scm?
It could be used then in local custom-definitions.
Same with `layout-blot-diameter´.
I know, it's another topic, though, what do you think about it?

Great idea!

https://codereview.appspot.com/7615043/diff/23001/scm/output-lib.scm#newcode1078
scm/output-lib.scm:1078:
What do you think about predefining sth like
ferneyhoughHairpinOn/Off
constanteHairpinOn/Off
in /lyproperty-init.ly?
i.e.
ferneyhoughHairpinOn =
\override Hairpin #'stencil = #ferneyhough-hairpin

I'm not against this idea at all - I'd like to see it proposed in a
different patch set, if possible.  I am teerrrrrible at judging UI
issues because I hack so much.  It is true that shortcuts help, but
there are many, many overrides that are shortcut-worthy.  I'm not sure
what standard determines which overrides should get shortcuts and which
shouldn't, so I leave that to a future (and important!) conversation.

https://codereview.appspot.com/7615043/diff/23001/scm/output-lib.scm#newcode1082
scm/output-lib.scm:1082: (define-public constante-hairpin
I'm not happy with constante-hairpin.

Look at the output from:

dimMolto =
#(make-dynamic-script (markup #:normal-text #:italic "dim. molto"))

\relative c'' {
   \dynamicUp
   \override Hairpin #'stencil = #constante-hairpin
   a1 a4\dimMolto\> a a a\!
}

The "hook" is placed at the left pointing up.

Wouldn't it be better to have the hook _always_ at the right?
Perhaps by adding a boolean variable to `my-c-p-s´. Doing scaling only
while
(and scalable? decresc?).

Is it possible to make the hook-direction depending on the position of
the
Hairpin i.e below or above the staff?

The constante indication means that the dynamic should not change at
all, so the decision to use a hairpin that grows in a given direction is
admittedly a hack. The idea of dimMolto (or crescMolto) with constante
is a contradiction (get very quiet while not changing dynamic).  Insofar
as a hairpin represents a change in dynamics, constante should, in
theory, be a different grob.  My solution is not ideal, but I think it
is an OK middle-ground short of the creation of a separate grob.  If
people think it is too hackish, I will propose a new patch with a
Constante grob (or make the hairpin grow-direction = #CENTER default to
constante, which'd be difficult but doable).

https://codereview.appspot.com/7615043/