Re: chords

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: chords
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 12:54:40 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> and an "unstable lily deb" -- I made CVS using "make deb", and then I
> could install the CVS version (when I was working on doc patches) or the
> stable version (when I needed to compose).  Unfortunately, "make deb"
> doesn't work when lily CVS requires guile1.6, and guile1.6 isn't in
> debian yet.  (apparently it's supposed to come soon; it's a tricky thing
> to package)
>
> Anyway, I can't see any solution in the immediate future, but hopefully
> soon we'll be able to use that trick.  (alternatively, if you use a
> different distro, you might be able to do this trick with rpms).

It's fairly easy to install guile and lilypond by hand
separately.

This is how I install packages separately. I have a usr/ tree (with
src, lib, share, etc. ) sitting in my home directory.  then

     cd ~/usr/src
     tar xzf guile-1.6.tar.gz
     cd guile-1.6/
     configure --prefix $HOME/usr/pkg/guile
     make all ; make install

     update-pkgs.sh

     tar xzf lilypond-1.7.12.tar.gz
     cd lilypond-1.7.12/
     configure --prefix $HOME/usr/pkg/lilypond
     make all ; make install

     update-pkgs.sh

The update-pkgs.sh script does the following

        #!/bin/sh

        for a in bin lib info   ; do
          cd ~/usr/$a/
          rm `find -type l`
          ln -s ../pkg/*/$a/* .
        done

of course, I have added ~/usr/bin/ to my PATH, and ~/usr/lib/ to my
LD_LIBRARY_PATH. For lilypond, you would have to source the
appropriate shell scripts on login.

When you are done with a package (say lily),   you do

     cd ~/usr/pkg/
     rm -rf lilypond-1.7.12

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen