iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Code freeze?

From: Ken Ellinwood
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Code freeze?
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:08:41 -0800 (PST)

> And finally, about TCP/IP: It sounds like a very good idea, and it opens
> up a whole lot of possibilities: For example to create a LADSPA plugin
> containing Iiwusynth, that is configured through a TCP/IP port.

I like the idea a lot too.  I think this means two things -- first, ensuring
that all commands which currently produce output are provided with the proper
file descriptor so output is redirected appropriately (maybe this is already
there... I've only just started looking at the code).  Secondly, to choose some
protocol for framing the input/output.  I think line oriented framing will work
for input just as it does now for the command shell interface, but what about
output?  How, for example, are we to know when the last line of output occurs
when sending an "inst" command?   We could implement something as simple as
terminating command output with a single semicolon on its own line or (to the
other extreme) use something like HTTP.  Thoughts?

Ken