iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] MIDI router proposal

From: M. Nentwig
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] MIDI router proposal
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:41:14 +0200

Hei,

In my opinion it's a good idea to separate the engine into midi / audio
/ synth / etc block.
Including a default MIDI router would not be much work. It could just
start as a module, that gets calls from the MIDI input(s) for noteon,
noteoff, CC, aftertouch etc, and passes them on to the synth. But the
default router could implement OMNI mode, that's easy.
Now with this modular concept in mind, I'm wondering if we gain
anything, if the full-functioned MIDI router and Fx patchbay are
separated from the fluidsynth library. That would require a shell
module, which is able to register new commands at runtime (for the
non-standard modules). Up until now I haven't seen a way to use the
off-the-shelf fluidsynth library, and control the application from the
same command line prompt.

Cheers

Markus