iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] MIDI router proposal

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] MIDI router proposal
Date: 18 Dec 2002 14:07:51 -0800

My email host has been off line for about 3 days now, so I'm just now
receiving them.

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 00:39, M. Nentwig wrote:
> Thinking about it, we -could- use the MIDI router to send arbitrary
> callbacks for events:
> We just make the router a module like the sound font loader, with
> functions called via pointers. Then Swami just inserts its own MIDI
> 'router' instead of the default router that comes with the synth.
> Seen from the outside, the MIDI router has a function for each type of
> MIDI event, that is called from the MIDI driver.
> In the default synth, this just sends the event to the synth.
> When using a more advanced routing scheme on request, it generates any
> number of events.
> And when you put in your own router, you'll just send an event to the
> synth and to Swami. That might even work :)
>
> -Markus

This sounds tres cool :) I really like the idea of Swami being able to
utilize FluidSynth's drivers. This solves a lot of issues with device
contention (in the case of audio). Sure, streaming samples would be
nice, but the real reason I wanted that feature was to be able to mix
arbitrary audio into the FluidSynth output (to preview an audio file
from disk for example, where loading the whole thing doesn't make
sense). I guess the alternative would be to use FluidSynth as an audio
plugin and just handle the drivers in Swami. This might be what is
necessary anyways, since I'm planning on writing plugins for other
Wavetable backends (e.g., OSS EMU 8k/10k backend). Although I don't know
why anyone would want to use Swami without FluidSynth.
More emails to follow :) Cheers!
        Josh Green