help-gnu-music

Re: Two notes sharing a head

From: POLCHER Jan
Subject: Re: Two notes sharing a head
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 21:30:17 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> address@hidden writes:
> >
> > Then effectively the first note of both voices has only one head (I guess
> > this is because both have a point now). But the counter part is that the
> > first voice is longer than the second one and that causes trouble later
> > on.
>
> could you elaborate on "that causes trouble later on."? Lily keeps
> track of how long all notes take, shared note head or not. It should
> make a difference.

Very simple :

e4. is of length 3/8th
[e4 d'8 d'8] is also of length 3/8th, as it should be.
When I have to write
[e4. d'8 d'8] to get the right result the length becomes 3/8 + 1/16.

Thus the measure bar (\time 12/8) is not after the 4th time these notes
are repeated but somewhere in the middle. You can see that if both voices
are not of length 3/8 you will be in trouble after repeating the notes
\mirere.

        Thanks for your help.

                Jan