guile-gtk-general

Re: g-wrap parallel installability part deux

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: g-wrap parallel installability part deux
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 22:11:33 +0200

Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Andreas Rottmann <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 19:58:39 +0200
>
>> Yes, it's true that the new g-wrap isn't a drop-in replacement, even
>> with the compat layer, which is pretty complete now (I was able to
>> build GnuCash with it), since it doesn't support GLib 1.2. I'm
>> thinking about changing that and ship a GLib 1.2 wrapper, but I'm
>> somewhat hesistant due to the code duplication this involves.
>
> As long as it can be installed in parallel -- with any packaging
> system -- which I think implies a different name, e.g. gwrap2, it's
> fine not to be compatible.  But the old one will live a long time.

The problem is that parallel-installability is not as easy as one
might think - the underlying problem is that both the old and the new
g-wrap provide the Guile module (g-wrap). If you know of a way how to
solve that, I'd like to hear it. Instead, I'm trying to make it
compatible (well, not *really* compatible, but compatible enough for
GnuCash, which is apparently the only user of the old G-Wrap).

>> Hmm, can't do much about that; if I get the new g-wrap to support GLib
>> 1.2, maybe the netbsd pkgsrc should be updated.
>
> From the pkgsrc point of view, the new g-wrap would get a g-wrap2
> package, and one could install both.

See above.

>> Well, the arch thing shouldn't keep you from trying - there are
>> recent tarballs of both G-Wrap and guile-gnome available.
>
> I have seen that on the list, and will try again - I'm also low on
> Copious Spare Time.
>
> But, according to
>
>   http://home.gna.org/guile-gnome/download/
>
> they aren't tarballs :-), and I don't see anything on the developer page
> either.  Even if the download link were just a server-generated page
> with what's in the directory it woudl be nicer for the casual user.

Perhaps we should do like Gnome-Python and provide publically
advertized (on gnome-lang-bindings) prereleases. Wingo?

Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden      | address@hidden | address@hidden

Make free software, not war!