guile-gtk-general

Re: g-wrap parallel installability part deux

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: g-wrap parallel installability part deux
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:08:40 +0200

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> Hey Andreas,
>
> On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 17:46 +0200, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
>> > Besides, it is completely wrong for one incompatible version to
>> > overwrite another, leaving its pieces around. This means e.g. the
>> > gnucash .deb couldn't install correctly.
>> >
>> This could be fixed by breaking up the (old) g-wrap .debs into the
>> run-time and build-time parts.
>
> Sounds good.
>
> Any progress on the wrapper? I'm starting to get itchy -- see the latest
> python bindings announcement on language-bindings. We should be there.
> Maybe I'll channel this energy into wrapping other libraries. Still, a
> proper release is necessary!

The wrapper is nearly functional now, but GnuCash folks (at least
Derek Atkins) seem quite hesistant to switch to the new codebase,
since this brings a new dependency (on guile-gnome-glib); also it
won't be possible to really make GnuCash work before it has switched
GNOME2, since guile-gnome-glib wraps GLib 2.0, but GnuCash needs 1.2
(ATM).

Also, I wonder why the wrapper is so important - are that many of our
users (who install the new G-Wrap to build guile-gnome) going to also
build GnuCash?

Regards, Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden      | address@hidden | address@hidden

I have a truly elegant proof of the  above, but it is too long to
fit into this .signature file.