gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X-5Hz

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X-5Hz
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 12:22:56 -0700

Yo Alexander!

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 11:57:37 -0700
Alexander Carver <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Many many people do this just fine.  I have 8 boxes doing this
> > now. Eric has a simliar number.  We have a lot of beta testers doing
> > similar.  There are zero open bugs on anything like this.  I can
> > provide many graphs showing it works fine, and has for many years.
>
> Yes, I hear this but I have not been able to replicate the results.

So what are your results and what is your setup?

> > Totally bizare.  Single digit microSeconds are the universal result.
> > Are you sure your kernel PPS driver is installed correctly and seen
> > by gpsd when it is built?
>
> Yes, it's seen and installed correctly.  Works fine with Driver 22,
> it's awful with gpsd.

How can you tell it is correct?  Does ppstest work?  Does gpsd say
it see kpps on startup?

> > If those do not work for anyone we would jump on it right away to
> > get a fix.
>
> I haven't tried it with a Raspberry Pi but I've tried it on several
> normal machines (Intel motherboards, Sun, all with real serial ports)
> using multiple OSes (Linux, Windows, Solaris, BSD) and several GPS
> receivers with PPS outputs and they've all done miserably using SHM
> PPS.

Ditto here.  A ton of hosts, a ton of OS, no reported problems but yours.

Details please.

> >> In any event, is NTPsec a replacement or is this a fork of ntpd?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Is it an official replacement of the ntpd code base (i.e. ntpd's
> current code will cease to exist and yours will replace it)?  I see no
> documentation anywhere that suggests ntpd's code base is disappearing.

Depends on who gets to be 'official'.  Funding is shifting from NTP
Classic to NTPsec.  Take look at the NTP Classic git.  Last commit seven
months ago.

https://github.com/ntp-project/ntp

Then check out the number of CERT advisories this year for NTP Classic
versus NTPsec.

Does that look healthy to you?

RGDS
GARY