gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X-5Hz

From: Robin Schwab
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X-5Hz
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2016 21:18:04 +0200

Dear Gary

Am 14.08.2016 um 19:42 schrieb Gary E. Miller:
You are using the 22 driver, and I, and the howto's, use the 28
driver.  Once again the 22 driver usually works, but it lacks the
fail safes in the 28 driver chain.

Not being a software engineer I am confused by the many drivers that are around. 90% are probably obsolete but not marked as such. Or am I wrong and there are still thousands of Trak 8820 users around?

Which driver shall one use? 20,22, 28, and 46 are candidates for a modern setup with NEMA and PPS. But I do not find information which one to prefer and which NEMA sentences they need to work best. I.e. a driver could use DOP data to trust good fixes more than average ones and to even discard very bad fixes. That is probably what you mention as fail safes Gary. As far as I know, diver 46 is the most recent and the only one to consider DOP. Are the howtos out of date?

Regards

Robin