gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Must first run gpsmon...

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Must first run gpsmon...
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 12:46:53 -0700

Yo Gary!

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 13:22:18 -0600
Gary Hodges - NOAA Affiliate <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Not a problem since you now have noselect, but otherwise it can
> > cause you time to thrash around a second or so.
>
> This is all very exciting.  I just took a ssh tour through all my
> remote systems and everything looks great.  Even my one disrespectful
> system is now toeing the ntp line.

Great.  If you take it to the next level you need to start graphing
your NTP results, like this:

        https://pi3.rellim.com/day

  I believe the addition of
> noselect resolved that one.  Is there a reason to even include 28.0
> if we tag it with noselect?

Mostly for debugging.  You can see in the stats when the NME time
goes wonky, and if so, how far.  If your NMEA time is stable, then
by carefully tuning your fudge you may be able to bring it back in the
mix.  As long as you also have exteranl chimers to outvote it when it
goes wild.

> >> address@hidden:~$ /usr/sbin/gpsd -V
> >> gpsd: 3.11 (revision 3.11-3)
> >>
> >> address@hidden:~$ /usr/sbin/ntpd --version
> >> ntpd 4.2.6p5
> >
> > Gack....  Not good.
>
> Not good as in it is strongly suggested to update, or not good as in
> the newer versions solve a lot of bugs but since it's working for you
> just go with it?

Yeah.  If it ain't broke for you, don't fix it, but 3.11 is broken for
a lot of people.  The ntpd version has a ton of CERTs out on it...

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588