gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Must first run gpsmon...

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Must first run gpsmon...
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 12:46:38 -0700

Yo Gary!

On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 13:04:37 -0600
Gary Hodges - NOAA Affiliate <address@hidden> wrote:

> To configure gpsd I follow the example found at:
> http://www.rjsystems.nl/en/2100-ntpd-garmin-gps-18-lvc-gpsd.php

Exactly?  Or with any changes?  That looks to be from 2014, so does not
account for the 'quirks' of Jessie.

Are you using the GPS 18lvc?  That is a 10 year old GPS, not so good
indoors.

> Basically this means I install gpsd and ntp with aptitude, then run
> "dpkg-reconfigure gpsd" answering the questions as directed:

We have had troubles with the debian gpsd packages.  We recommend you
use a recent gpsd from a tar ball.  But I do not think that is the
problem here.

> Start gpsd automatically on boot? Yes
> Device the GPS receiver is attached to: /dev/ttyS0
> Should gpsd handle attached USB GPS receivers automatically? No
> Options to gpsd: -b -n

The -b could be problematic.  Your article says the default 40 mSec
PPS is a problem, but it is not.

> Note that six of my machines use /dev/ttyUSB0 and one uses /dev/ttyS3.

Ser you doing the setserial every tim on boot before running gpsd?

> I configure ntp.conf, and that's pretty much it, I believe.

And what is you configuration?  Are you using driver 20, 22, 28, etc?
Do you have the right offset for you NMEA time?  Lot's of questions, but
it is easier if you just show us youur config.

> This
> process worked with the previous debian stable with the same
> hardware. It is only with Jessie that I have to first run gpsmon.

Jessie changes to systemd, many people rip it out and then report better
results.

> I think I covered your configuration question above.

Nope.  You provided no info on the ntp.conf.

>  I don't know which is run run first, gpsd or ntpd.

Usually not a problem, but it means you don't really know what is happening.

>  As for the driver version... ntp works just fine if pointing at Internet
> time servers.

Two things.

Ntpd ALWAYS needs internet time servers. ntpd was never designed for
standalone usage.

The verion is important, but I asked for the driver NUMBER.  Jessie does
ship with an older gpsd, but the major problems in Jessie are in the
surround stuff.

Most people just rip out the debian scripts and write their own.

> It just
> won't use the local GPS unless gpsmon is first run.

Which is a new one on us.  If you run 'cgps' before running gpsmon, do
you see anything?  If you wait several minutes on startup, then run
just cgps, do you see a 3D fix right away?

If you reboot, letting gpsd and nptd start, and you run 'ppscheck' and
'ppstest' do you see good data?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588