gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Must first run gpsmon...

From: Gary Hodges - NOAA Affiliate
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Must first run gpsmon...
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 13:22:18 -0600

Hi Gary!

On 08/10/2016 11:03 AM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo Gary!

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 09:29:40 -0600
Gary Hodges - NOAA Affiliate <address@hidden> wrote:

Then that would be slightly sub-optimal.  The ntp pool is flakey.
Find and pick better chimers close to you.  You should have
noselect on the NMEA time.  And have you measured the offset to
know that 0.183 is correct for you?

It has not been measured, only eyeballed.  That number looks like the
default value (or at least whatever number was in the example)
though, so probably not even eyeballed.  "Correct" for me is likely
pretty loose for most.  The reality is I'm good if accurate to a
second or few with my instrument.  That said, this has been an on and
off again little project of mine.  I have a little time this week
which is why I decided to post.

Not a problem since you now have noselect, but otherwise it can
cause you time to thrash around a second or so.

This is all very exciting. I just took a ssh tour through all my remote systems and everything looks great. Even my one disrespectful system is now toeing the ntp line. I believe the addition of noselect resolved that one. Is there a reason to even include 28.0 if we tag it with noselect?

Also, run "pstree -paul | fgrep gpsd" to verify which CLI options
are on gpsd.

address@hidden:~$ pstree -paul | fgrep gpsd
   |-gpsd,1149,gpsd -N -n /dev/ttyUSB0
   |   `-{gpsd},1154
   |               |-grep,4858 -F gpsd

address@hidden:~$ pstree -paul | fgrep gpsd
   |-gpsd,1199,gpsd -N -b -n /dev/ttyUSB0
   |   `-{gpsd},1204
   |               |-grep,1215 -F gpsd

That looks good.  And yet cgps does not work at that point?

Do the same check for ntpd.

With that soft link suggested by David I think this is moot now, but in any case...

address@hidden:~$ pstree -paul | fgrep ntpd
  |-ntpd,518,ntp -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -g -u 107:114
  |               |-grep,1910 -F ntpd

address@hidden:~$ /usr/sbin/gpsd -V
gpsd: 3.11 (revision 3.11-3)

address@hidden:~$ /usr/sbin/ntpd --version
ntpd 4.2.6p5

Gack....  Not good.

Not good as in it is strongly suggested to update, or not good as in the newer versions solve a lot of bugs but since it's working for you just go with it?

Cheers,
Gary