Re: [gnugo-devel] SlugGo v.s. Many Faces

From: David G Doshay
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] SlugGo v.s. Many Faces
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:20:00 -0700

On Aug 24, 2004, at 8:03 PM, Gunnar Farnebäck wrote:

Arend wrote:
I think an improvement of 2 stones with only 18 times as much computing
time is impressive and very promising. Congratulations.

Well, there's some parallelism too. As I understood it the factor 18
referred to wall time, not computing time.

That is correct. The compute time is as much as 8 times that right now,
but that factor of 8 is done in parallel over 8 cpus. This is why it would
be so painfully slow on a single cpu machine.

And if I may be so bold, I think the total improvement is better than 2
stones. GNU Go usually looses to Many Faces. We will know more
as statistics build up.

David