Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?

From: Olaf Buddenhagen
Subject: Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 02:53:05 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 02, 2014 at 02:40:41PM -0500, Felipe López wrote:

> In the GNU Project, people sympathize with one of two opposing views:
>
> 1. If the GNU Project releases its own distribution called "GNU" or
>    "The GNU System", certain group of people would take it as if the
>    GNU Project were "claiming exclusiveness or superiority over other
>    GNU variants".
> 2. The GNU Project should release its own distribution called "GNU"
>    or "The GNU System". The GNU Project was launched to develop the
>    GNU system, so delivering the system is something expected and
>    beneficial for end-users.
[...]
> I have to say that I'm sad to hear that RMS doesn't agree with the
> second view above, because I think that going that way would make the
> system and the ideas around the project more visible and accessible to
> potential users.

This simplified view entirely discounts the compromise proposed by
Brandon, and supported by several people (including myself), to call the
Guix distribution the *reference* distribution of GNU -- which is just
as good for promoting the great work done in the Guix project, as
calling it *the* GNU system; but considerably reduces the risk of people
thinking that this and only this is the net result of the GNU project as
a whole.

-antrik-