POSIX vs. Hurd (was: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operati

From: Olaf Buddenhagen
Subject: POSIX vs. Hurd (was: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?)
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 02:36:57 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 02:43:46PM +0100, Garreau, Alexandre wrote:

> I heard that on #hurdfr I think (the ???nightmare??? of pipes and the
> fact GNU Hurd would be forced to follow POSIX, also that I remember
> having seen braurn doing a minifork of Hurd to experiment features
> without following POSIX, I don???t remember the name but it looked
> like a proper name???),

"x15" is the name he (Richard Braun) uses for his Hurd-related kernel
experiments. Note though that the focus of his work has shifted several
times over the past years -- so "x15" can actually refer to a couple
somewhat different things...

Regarding his stance on POSIX, I asked him, and AIUI he actually wants
to change some aspects of the core architecture (such as the IPC
mechanism) to make it *easier* to fully implement POSIX.

-antrik-