Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?

From: Aurélien DESBRIÈRES
Subject: Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 05:36:38 +0100

Olaf Buddenhagen <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Dec 02, 2014 at 10:01:00AM -0200, Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro wrote:
>> Olaf Buddenhagen <address@hidden> escreveu:
>
>> > When you say "*this* is GNU", you always carry the implication that
>> > "everything else is not GNU".
>>
>> And that's true in the sense that everything else are not
>> distributions developed by the GNU project.  It seems to me you're
>> conflating the issues as if saying that a distribution is developed by
>> the GNU project would imply that no other system is a GNU-variant.
>
> I'm not conflating anything -- I'm merely pointing out that the vast
> majority of people out there won't be making the fine distinctions you
> are claiming.
>
> Let's take a step back: for the past 15 years or so, the GNU project has
> been promoting the view that most of the Linux-based systems out there
> put together by various people and using most of GNU, are essentially
> GNU systems. If the GNU project decides to release something called "The
> GNU System" or just "GNU" now, what most people will hear is: "Actually,
> we have been kidding: all this time, there really was no GNU system --
> but now there is!"
>
> -antrik-

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

But that is just true.

GNU have works all that years to create a fully free OS. All off what
have been done from that last 30 years was to reach that goal.

>From all that years, maybe GNU / Hurd was the most GNU OS, but afaik GNU
/ Linux or GNU / BSD solution never claim to be a pure GNU OS, just most
free as possible OS.

Just look the distro we are working on GNU / Linux-libre we have to free
the software and the kernel.

A fully and trully free OS from its statement could present many
interest from a reach point for all dev to a reference for all new
incomers.

GNU have 30 years of successfull works.

One day, RMS told me one thing about an idea I suggest him, he respond me
approximatively something like that:

"that is a great idea, but how many hackers are working on?"

Another day, I ping him about Parabola GNU / Linux-libre saying hey,
that is a cool free distro that will create hackers, because with that
solution we have the head in the code, look at this guy (speaking of
Xylon) he is a true hackers (many more guys in the distro are hackers)
but that was the inspiration of the moment.

The distro have been be verified and certified.

But, that is right, Parabola GNU / Linux-libre is based on a non-free
stuff like all distro.

So stopping to works on that project, to join *the one* that have to be
sounds correct.

But, things should be clearly define.

--
Aurelien Desbrieres