Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?

From: Olaf Buddenhagen
Subject: Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 01:25:26 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 01:12:05PM +0100, Garreau, Alexandre wrote:
> Le 21/11/2014 à 11h57, Alfred M. Szmidt a écrit :

> > The Hurd is not forced to follow any standards, nor is POSIX a
> > "depassed" standard.  POSIX is a very good base for all things UNIX.
>
> Pipes are a nightmare on Hurd I heard. I don???t remind if it was braurn
> or youpi who said me POSIX was a big constraint and that with the Hurd
> revolutionary architecture there were far better way to do things than
> as they???re done with POSIX.

The nice thing about the Hurd is that while it strives to implement all
of the POSIX interfaces, it doesn't try to hide the underlying
architecture either. So it provides a drop-in replacement for
traditional UNIX systems, and a smooth transition path for existing
software and users; but it doesn't hinder you from doing things in new
ways if you want to. Programs written for the Hurd are perfectly welcome
to use the more powerful mechanisms -- it's just that we do not make
much use of this power thus far...

POSIX is a constraint mostly only in the sense that it vastly increases
the complexity of the system :-(

-antrik-