Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Obsoleting abrowse

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Obsoleting abrowse
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:49:30 +0200

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 13:15 +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> With the lasest modifications I've made to baz 1.5, abrowse is mostly
> a subset of rbrowse. The main strong point of abrowse was that it
> displayed the log information as it fetched it while rbrowse did it
> version per version, but rbrowse now does as abrowse.
>
> One difference in the UI is that
>
>   baz abrowse address@hidden
>
> considers address@hidden as an archive name, while
> rbrowse considers it as a regexp to match version names with. You have
> to type
>
>   baz rbrowse address@hidden/
>
> to do the equivalent. This can hardly be changed because the left hand
> side of the '/' can be a URL, like in
>
>   baz rbrowse http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/arch/public/bazaar--devo--1.5
>
> And in this case, we _do_ want the last slash of the argument to be
> the separator between the archive and the version.
>
> (BTW, since baz 1.4's abrowse is broken when specifying archive
> names[1], and no one complained, I guess either this is not a serious
> issue, or everybody use abrowse and no one use rbrowse).
>

> address@hidden/bazaar--abrowse-deprecated--1.5
>   Located at: https://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/arch/public
>
> Deprecates abrowse in favor of rbrowse. Any objection to merge this in
> upstream before the 1.5 release?

I do not have an objection per se, just a few remarks:

address@hidden:devel/bazaar-tests $ baz rbrowse --versions address@hidden/
address@hidden/archtools--ddaa--0
[...]
address@hidden/www--main--2
address@hidden/pyarch--abentley--0.5.0
[...]
address@hidden/pybaz--reorganize--0
address@hidden/cv--1.0
address@hidden/irmar--0
address@hidden/pep324--cvs--0
address@hidden/doc--cvs--0
[...]
address@hidden/texmacs--patch--2.11
address@hidden/plugins--coding-party--0
[...]
address@hidden/texmacs--par-no-indent--1.0.4

You probably want to fix "rbrowse archive/" to behave correctly before
removing abrowse.

Also, why not just rename "rbrowse" to "browse"? This vestigial r prefix
does not make a lot of sense when abrowse is gone.

The plan, about 6 months back (if memory serves), was to deprecate those
commands in favor of a glob-based "branches" command, at some point
after nuking the c-b-v hierarchy. I do not know what happened to the
idea, but maybe you should sync about it with Robert.

--
                                                            -- ddaa