Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU Arch 2.0 -- first source

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU Arch 2.0 -- first source
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 16:49:38 -0700

On Sun, 2005-07-10 at 15:19 +0100, Robin Green wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 01:57:46PM -0700, Thomas Lord wrote:
> >         btw -- is sending html-formatted email hopelessly antisocial,
>
> Fine by me.
>
> > The first source release and some very early documentation for Arch 2.0
> > ("revc") is now ready!
>
> Looks cool - but what about your plans to include an integrated programming
> language in arch? Presumably those plans have been dropped or postponed?
>
> Regards,

I think that you must have misunderstood something.

I don't know what an "integrated programming language in arch"
would mean.

I do know that `revc' is already quite librified and it's API
has a very simple model.   There are a few 10, I guesstimate,
very trivial functions to modify when porting it to a new
run-time environment (e.g. language bindings) or operating
system.

I have talked a lot about various high level languages and their
relationship to Arch.  The relationship is multi-faceted: high-level
languages are inviting platforms in which to implement Arch-related
functionality, although many popular instances of such have deficiencies
that prevent that;  at the same time, Arch's storage and ancestry model
for trees makes an inviting backing store for data-persistence
features in various high level languages.

I thought for a time a few months ago that I'd have time to finish
XL and then use that to, for example, implement Arch 2.0 but
such large projects frequently get sidetracked and this one was
no exception..

I'm sure I'll make progress on languages (XL, Pika, etc.) eventually.