Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Premières impressions au sujet de arch (forgive me

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Premières impressions au sujet de arch (forgive me to post this in french)
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:53:56 -0500

Please forgive me for replying in English.

Most of the issues you raise -- filename conventions and such -- have
been rehashed here to the point of qualifying for status as FAQs, and
are things which, general consensus has included, are not likely to
change; and those things which are likely to change are items which we
are all fully aware of. While the mailing list archives may not be in
your native language, I would encourage you to search them nonetheless;
there is likely to be little new to come up in this discussion which has
not taken place on this list before.

The sensitivity with regard to inode numbers is in practice rarely
problematic. Most advanced users use revision libraries rather than
pristine trees; since the revision library entry (unlike its pristine
equivalent) is kept outside of the project's {arch} directory, no longer
is your project tree going to cause problems if copied around. (The
revision library can't be copied -- but since Arch can recreate it
as-needed, this inability to move it around via scp and the like is
hardly an issue). .arch-ids is possibly an exception here -- there has
been some recent discussion regarding alternate mechanisms for storing
explicit IDs, and possibly some future version will support such
mechanisms.

All that said, let me reiterate: Please review the mailing list. Nothing
you mention here has not been rehashed many times there.