Re: [Gnu-arch-users] version aliases

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] version aliases
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 07:59:40 -0400

Tom Lord wrote:
Is this something you want to code up or just an idle thought?

I.e., is it worth explaining how to go about implementing it?

Well, I've put it into aba, and it's been quite handy. Putting it into tla proper would probably entail getting most commands to use new functions for picking revisions.

In my input validation work, I've noticed that pretty well every command that accepts either a version or a revision has its own implementation of determining the revision of a version.

It wouldn't hurt to unify the processing by providing an "arch_determine_revision ()" command in cmdutils that validated the version/revision, checked if the supplied version/revision existed, and determined the latest revision if the version was supplied.

That way, there's always decent input validation, and less duplicate code. Maybe we could add alias expansion there. Maybe we could make patchlevels always refer to the tree-version at the same time.

Aaron