Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Fast commits

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Fast commits
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 08:50:12 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Robin Farine <address@hidden>

    > I wonder whether the following modification of the revision locking
    > mechanism would work for O(1) commits.

    > An unlocked archive version directory contains a lock directory as
follows:

    > foo--bar--1.0
    >          + ---- base-0
    >          + ---- patch-N
    >          + ---- ++version-lock
    >                             + ---- last-revision
    >                             + ---- +contents

    > where the file 'last-revision' in this example contains "patch-N".

If you know where to _find_ the ++version-lock directory then you
already know what `last-revision' would say.

The only time `commit' _has_ to look at the archive to find out the
latest revision is when the `--out-of-date-ok' option is given (I
mistakenly called that `--force' in my previous message on this
topic.)