[Gnu-arch-users] Fast commits

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Fast commits
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 01:22:09 -0500

Hi all,

I've whipped up some patches that should dramatically improve the speed
of commits under the following circumstances:
1. archive access is slower than project tree access
2. lots and lots of revisions are present in the archive
3. --out-of-date-ok is not used

Since each of you have complained about the sluggishness of commit at
one point or another, I'd appreciate any testing you can give it.

Unfortunately, commit is still an O(n) operation.  It's just a faster
O(n) operation, because it uses the project tree to list all revisions
instead of using the archive.

***WARNING***
I have run "make test" and it passed.  The core commit functionality
hasn't been changed, only the way patchlevels are selected.

I don't believe it could do serious damage to an archive, but I'd hate
to be wrong there.  After all, it is *commit* I'm messing with.  Please
be careful with it.

The branch is
address@hidden/tlasrc--smallstuff--1--patch-4
http://www.sourcecontrol.net/~abentley/archives/tlasrc/

(patch-3 isn't required, but 1, 2, and 4 are.)

Aaron