Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Fast commits

From: Robin Farine
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Fast commits
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 15:40:28 +0200

Aaron Bentley wrote:

I think you missed the "no incompatible changes to the archive format" rule.

Right, older versions of tla would not be able to deal with this new archive format. The reverse would work though.

More feasible would be just adding a LAST-REVISION file, that (if present) would be used as a hint about what the last revision was. If not present, or if wrong, we could fall back to the O(n) techniques.

I agree that the LAST-REVISION (or ++last-revision :-) file solution is simpler and completely compatible. My initial idea was to have the exact last revision atomically updated as part of the commit transaction. But assuming commits with a tla version aware of the LAST_REVISION file happen regularly, this file would give a starting point not far from the actual last revision. Looks good.

Thanks for the comment,

Robin