Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Mirrors and remote repositories...

From: David A. Wheeler
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Mirrors and remote repositories...
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 14:41:35 GMT

> > However, I'm using a laptop, so I want disconnected operation, where
> > I can "store up" changesets to push up later.  How do I do this?
> > The docs I'm reading say that a mirror is readonly.  Am I reading
> > something wrong?
>
> No, you're reading it right, mirrors are read-only. However, you can
> have another archive on your laptop, a local archive, from which you can
> merge back to the remote one whenever you want.

In my opinion, a "commit" against a mirror should be automatically
redirected to the mirrored repository.  Would that be hard to do?

> > Also: I'm a little unclear... Does tla not offer an oportunity to
> > commit single files outside a changeset, like BK?  I liked that
> > behaviour since I could make tonnes of small changes and they'd all
> > be documented with change comments, then I could send them all as
> > one large changeset with really well documented changes.
>
> I'd create a branch for the changes, then commit each file as you see
> fit, then document the merge back to the mainline brach well. As much as
> I see, this is almost like what you want. Just better, because it is not
> special-cased >;)

I think it'd be easy to add a command that could commit individual files,
and internally created a changeset.  Call it "commit-file" or
some such.

--- David A. Wheeler