[Gnu-arch-users] proposal : ~/.authinfo

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] proposal : ~/.authinfo
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:13:45 +0100

Hi all,

I  didn't find any  other way  to specify  a password  for an  HTTP or
webdav archive than giving the password in clear in the URL like

http://user:address@hidden/

I don't  like this  very much,  because then, it  is displayed  on the
screen when one use a command like "tla archives".

So, I would like to implement a ~/.authinfo mechanism.

The file ~/.authinfo would contain several lines

machine XXX login YYY password ZZZ

I'll first  try to implement  this for http authentication,  and then,
extend this  to proxy  authentication. (I've found  a patch  for proxy
authentication on  this list, but  it hadn't been accepted  because it
used environment variable.  Will this feature be accepted  if I manage
to implement it ?)

Any remarks on this ?

Should I implement  it on tla 1.2  or do you suggest I  upgrade to the
latest development version for that ?

Thanks,

--
Matthieu