Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla1.2 on cygwin

From: Karel Gardas
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla1.2 on cygwin
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 09:04:15 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Adrian Irving-Beer wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 08:38:47AM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:
>
> >     > Well, Windows NT and descendants aren't directly derived from DOS.
> >
> > Yes, I know (although, don't they still contain some compatability
> > code or is that gone by now?).
>
> Well, NT is/was an OS/2 kernel with a Windows GUI.  Win95/98/ME were a
> DOS kernel with a Windows GUI.  I don't know if the GUIs shared common
> code, but certainly all the system-level stuff is fairly separate.

One note: NT is not OS/2 kernel. NT was microkernel based OS which M$
bought with the engineering team from Digital in early 90ies. The first
version was 3.1, then 3.51. In NT 4 they move graphics layer into
micro-kernel and introduce it to the world as wise decision. I don't know
anything about later releases, but that's what we learnt in the school.

> I believe the core of the OS/2 kernel was 'personalities' -- one
> personality when talking to DOS programs, one when talking to another
> class of programs, etc.

IIRC in NT such things are calld ``subsystems''.

Cheers,

Karel
--
Karel Gardas                  address@hidden