Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla1.2 on cygwin

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla1.2 on cygwin
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 12:02:11 +1100

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 17:33, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> I meant "the question is whether Leroy's approach is worth maintaining,
> not whether Windows compatibility is worth maintaining."
>
> The tradeoffs are
> Leroy: requires Cygwin.
> Berg: requires NTFS
> SFU: requires SFU & NTFS
> (All require Windows NT or descendant)

Cygwin doesn't require NT. It may for Leroy's code, but cygwin itself
doesn't, and thus Leroy's code -should- be malleable to working on
win9x. And before anyone suggests that that doesn't matter - I know
developers working on coprorate platforms that are stuck on 9x
platforms.

> I agree.  It's great to see the strides that have been made in porting
> Arch to Windows.  Ultimately, I think we do want a single Windows port.
> Having 3 versions with essentially the same features will only lead to
> user confusion.  But I don't think we need to pick one right away and
> toss the others.

Don't be confused, they are three different ports. The SFU work is /not/
a windows platform.

Rob