gmediaserver-devel

Re: [gmediaserver-devel] Xbox 360 failure report

From: Tommy Winther
Subject: Re: [gmediaserver-devel] Xbox 360 failure report
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 22:30:09 +0100

Yes, twonky does the same.
>From what I can gather from tcpdump, etc. twonky only provides that modelName when the description.xml is requrested with a User-Agent containing xbox (or similiar).

I've gotten a little further and have the xbox actually playing mp3's now. Only the songs root category works thought.
I've attached a new diff, It's all a hack though and probably all of the changes I made are not required.

I can send you a tcpdump of twonky's communication if you'd like.

In the next couple of days I'll try to document as much as possible, fx it seems the xbox always uses a specific containerID when requesting each of the 5 root categories - Albums (ID=7), Artist (ID=6), Saved Playlists (ID=F), Songs (ID=4), Genres (ID=5). This doesn't match too good with how gmediaserver does it as far as i can tell, hence the hack with always settings containerID to 0.
There's also the options to "Play all" in each category, but that crashes the xbox :)

Br.
Tommy

søn, 08 01 2006 kl. 21:20 +0100, skrev Oskar Liljeblad:
On Friday, January 06, 2006 at 20:47, Tommy Winther wrote:
> I've also been experimenting with gmediaserver and Xbox 360.
> It seems the xbox needs a couple specific values before it will
> communicate with the media server.
>
> - The modelName tag in src/schemas/MediaServer.xml.in must be "Windows
> Media Connect"
> - The friendlyName (specified with --friendly-name) must be appended
> with ": 1 : Windows Media Connect", eg
> "whatever : 1 : Windows Media Connect"

Hmm, interesting. Nice work. But someone said twonkyvision worked with
the 360 - does it to all the above too? I don't like the idea of
setting modelName to something that contains 'Windows'...

Regards,

Oskar