glue

Re: [Evolution] CALL FOR SPONSORSHIP: The Open Group Ware Project

From: Dan Kuykendall
Subject: Re: [Evolution] CALL FOR SPONSORSHIP: The Open Group Ware Project
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 12:34:28 -0800

> Yes - when I first looked into this subject I found about 20 groupware
> projects in sourceforge, and not many of them had gotten anywhere.  I
> think it would be useful to contact those people and ask them for input,
> get a feel for what they had in mind, and pick over the bones of the
> dead projects for useful ideas.  Some may be interested in participating
> actively if there is some indication that this is a serious project
> witha multi-developer following.

Yes, most are all dead because they couldnt build a solid foundation to
work from. Running the phpGroupWare project, along with being a
GroupWise and then Exchange and now Notes admin has taught me a
considerable amount about groupware systems. I feel like I can build a
design with the help of a few others with experience writing and
maintaing groupware systems. With this small group we can get something
done faster and then can open up for public discussion/critisism.

> I'm all for getting gung-ho and putting fingertips to the keyboard, but
> it's wasted effort if you don't have a coherent concept.  I'm not
> advocating committee paralysis, just some simple discussion over what
> will / will not be addressed in the project and setting some priorities.

I agree we need the concepts first, and I fully plan to work that way.
but I dont plan to have every tiny function decided before I start
hacking.

Seek3r