glue

Re: [discuss] Re: [Evolution] Re: [discuss] GROUPWARE - what is it, anyw

From: Sander Vesik
Subject: Re: [discuss] Re: [Evolution] Re: [discuss] GROUPWARE - what is it, anyways?
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 20:30:38 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Dan Kuykendall wrote:

> > The hierarchical relationships will have to be stored on the server.
> > You might want to provide developers with operations like "delete this
> > branch of tasks from the tree".  etc.  without having to incur multiple
> > network calls to delete each child element.
>
> Good point
>
> > I don't see this as an advantage.  Isn't some sort of roadmap useful
> > before coding?  Everyone here could be talking about something
> > different.
>
> Document/road map first. Yes... but Im also going to start hacking some
> tests together to verify that the design will be practicle. I also will
> adjust phpGW so that it can be quickly adapted as the first OGS server
> implementation. I personally think that documenting by writing code is a
> decent way to go. At least after you have the basic concepts documented
> first.

It's just that I have seen people refer to really strange things as 'TODO
lists'....

> > Will Evo support OGS if it intends to produce its own back end
> > eventually?  Can someone talk to them and get opinions?
>
> I have no idea at this point. I can only hope

If Evolution, phpGW and "we" all talked OGS, all parties would get
benefits:

        * phpGW - interoperability/ easy acceptance into Gnome/Evolution
          based environments as well as future SO/OO.o based environments
          + possibly lots of eyes

        * Evolution based environments get 'extranet'/web access via phpGW
          + potential Gnome-wide benefits in groupware + integration with
          SO/OO.o

        * we get groupware + nice integration of groupware on Gnome
          desktop + being able to use essentially the same solution on all
          platforms

But naturally it is up to Evolution developers to decide what they want to
do...

> Seek3r

        Sander

One day a tortoise will learn to fly