gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] shopping cart = virtual folders ?

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] shopping cart = virtual folders ?
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 18:09:17 +0200

> >> Does gnome-vfs offer vfolder feautures?
> >> Which brings me back to my notorious point, will plugins
> >> have access to gcmd features beyound gnome-vfs...
> >>

> > Well.., the F9 search window is very close.
> >

> All this thingy is about, is storing paths and filenames
> for later access.
>
> For many uses (not all i think), it could be done by
> simply storing plain symliks in folders (saved vfolders)
> under ~/.gnome-commander/vfolders
>
> But i realize that symlinks may not work for all purposes,
> i think it would fail for CD/DVD burning (burning symlinks
> instead of files?)
>
> But then again, look at the search window, and there it is.
> The only thing needed is to be able to populate a list like
> that by other means than a search, and of course to name and
> save it for later (easy)access.

Yes, this is the way how it is implemented in current gcmd file list -
just the container holding paths to all files in the dir. With some work
it can be generalised to become vfolder - container with paths pointing
to ANY file/dir

BTW making symlinks is not a good idea - it's slow and clutters user
disks...

> Maybe even the F9 window can be used, just adding a checkbox
> "vFolders" that activates a dropdown list with saved vfolders.
> Chose a saved vfolder in that dropdown.. and there it is, in
> this scenario you even have the search ready if you want to
> search in in your saved vfolder. But how to create and store
> these vfolders.. plain textfiles with one file per row under
> ~/.gnome-commander/vfolders, or could symlinks work?

vfolders should be created via toolbar/menu/key-shortcut (from GUI
perspective) and stored in 'gcmd.ini' file between sessions... Think of
them like bookmarks

Piotr