gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] shopping cart = virtual folders ?

From: Magnus Stålnacke
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] shopping cart = virtual folders ?
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 10:29:57 +0200

Magnus Stålnacke wrote:
Micha wrote:

Does gnome-vfs offer vfolder feautures?
Which brings me back to my notorious point, will plugins
have access to gcmd features beyound gnome-vfs...

Well.., the F9 search window is very close.

All this thingy is about, is storing paths and filenames
for later access.

For many uses (not all i think), it could be done by
simply storing plain symliks in folders (saved vfolders)
under ~/.gnome-commander/vfolders

But i realize that symlinks may not work for all purposes,
i think it would fail for CD/DVD burning (burning symlinks
insted of files?)

But then again, look at the search window, and there it is.
The only thing needed is to be able to populate a list like
that by other means than a search, and of course to name and
save it for later (easy)access.

Maybe even the F9 window can be used, just adding a checkbox
"vFolders" that activates a dropdown list with saved vfolders.
Chose a saved vfolder in that dropdown.. and there it is, in
this scenario you even have the search redy if you want to
search in in your saved vfolder. But how to create and store
these vfolders.. plain textfiles with one file per row under
~/.gnome-commander/vfolders, or could symlinks work?