Re: [Fsfe-uk] UK Govt. OSS Policy v2

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] UK Govt. OSS Policy v2
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 21:59:35 +0100

Philip Hunt wrote:

On Sunday 15 August 2004  1:03 am, Graham Seaman wrote:

http://open.egov.org.uk/index.php/Government_OSS_policy
This is a site which I'm trying to build up content on before making it
live; at the moment
it's heavily protected by apache basicauth with the cryptic username
'guest' and password 'visitor'.  I'd very much appreciate any comments on
my comments, please feel
free to edit the wiki in any way you like.

I had a go at editting this, I got this error message:

Request-URI Too Large
The requested URL's length exceeds the capacity limit for this server.

request failed: URI too long

I can't duplicate this. However, looking at the access logs I notice that every request from your browser was doubled: first version of the request with no authorization, receiving a 401, second version of the same request with the 'guest' token, getting a 200. But the posts of the edited pages got 401s, being unauthorised, and a second post was never sent - your browser then switched
to a get, which failed. What version of which browser were you using?
And could anyone else set my mind at rest by making a change to the site (eg. on the 'talk' page that goes with the policy page (reached from the 'discussion' tab on the page menu)? Thank you!

Cheers
Graham